Reading Room Program:
The reading room is a retreat and academic study center for a middle aged married couple. The assumption is the same couple owns your case study house and this smaller, detached reading room is a private space for them to pursue their academic interests.
Specific requirements are listed below
- Maximum 300 square feet
- Small kitchenette
- Small bathroom
- 120 linear feet of bookshelves
- Small desk & writing space for laptop
- You should include explorations of the following in your design
- Siting of the building including distance from main building and how to get there (path, landscape, etc.)
- Special requirements dictated by site conditions including lighting challenges and heating/cooling challenges.
- Provide exceptional reading spaces for each person through thorough design development.
Final Presentation Requirements:
- Physical Models
- 1/4” = 1’ Model of design proposal, must include some site for context.
- 1/8” = 1’ (or 1/16”=1’ on approval) site context model. This should connect with your group model to give greater site context.
- Drawings (1 sheet, 24” x 36”) - Must include:
- Floor plan
- 4 elevations
- 2 major sections (1 must include part of the site)
- 2 perspective drawings/computer models at eye level
- Drawings should be well laid out and graphically pleasing.
- There should be minimal text, as the drawings should read by themselves.
- Please include graphic/written scales for each of the drawings.
- Include entourage to enhance the final drawings. More specifics will be discussed prior to the exhibition of work.