In your future career as an architecture student/architect, you will often need to showcase your work in a printed format. This assignment is designed for you to design and build a printed portfolio of your work. This assignment is your final project for the course and will be worth 30% of your overall grade. Assignment 108 begins today and will be due by 9:30 am on Monday, May 18, 2015. Throughout the remainder of the semester, we will be revisiting this assignment giving you ample opportunity to make corrections/improvements to the final product.
Part 1 (Beginning 3/4/15)
- Collect all of your work from this class and at least 3 pieces of work from your other classes/work experience.
- Using InDesign, build a multiple page portfolio. Pay careful attention to themes running through your portfolio. Each assignment can have a separate page or there can be multiple images on a page. The portfolio must be at least 5 pages (10 pages back & front) long and can be longer. You must have some text in the portfolio as well. Pay careful attention to flow lines, margins, etc. You may wish to consult the Structure + Organization chapter of the Layout Workbook (pp. 52-71) to help you with this part.
- Part 2:
- You will need to work in Adobe Illustrator to design a front cover for your portfolio. This cover should thematically showcase your design work in an abstract manner. You may use other software (Photoshop, InDesign) as necessary.
- Continue working on your design layouts. You should have many more complete pages by this point. Make sure that your structure and organization complement your work rather than detract from it. Take some time to do a mock-up with a different layout just to make sure your current layout is working the best.
- Print and bind your portfolio. There are many options for this step and we will discuss them in class as the final approaches.
- Revisit and finalize your layouts. Take time to correct mistakes in assignments and make sure that all of your very best work is going into the final portfolio.
Turning in your work:
- By 9:30 am on Monday 5/18, you should post a gallery slide show of each page of your portfolio to the course website. Please also include a .pdf of your portfolio (including cover pages) with your post. You must also turn in the physical copy to me by 9:30 am on 5/18. Unlike other assignments, I will grade the printed version of this portfolio. I will not accept any work after 9:30! If you would like your portfolio returned prior to the start of next semester, you may include a self-addressed, stamped envelope (with enough postage) for me to mail it back to you and I will do so after I have finished grading. If you do not include an envelope, you may pick up your portfolio next semester.