Welcome to Architecture 136, Digital Tools For Architects. Throughout the course, you will be required to use the course website to view and download assignments, revisit tutorials, and post your assignments/exercises as they are completed. In this exercise, you will begin working in Rhino, register with the course website, and make your first post.
- Turn on your computer and open your web browser.
- Next, navigate to www.digitaltoolsforarchitects.com.
- Take a moment to familiarize yourself with the course website. Click on the login link in the upper right corner of the page. Below the login box, click on the “Register” link.
- Please type in your desired username. Your username should relate to your real name (jsmith, janesmith, jane-smith, jane.smith, etc.)
Fill out your email address (you need to have an email address for this class, if you do not already have one, please sign up for a free account with either gmail, www.gmail.com, yahoo! www.yahoo.com, or outlook.com)
- Enter the Invitation Code given out in class, then click the “Register” button.
- Check your email for your new password. (Note: After you login for the first time, you can change your password)
- Using the link in your email, login with your username and the password assigned to you.
- You should now visit the website dashboard by mousing over the “Digital Tools For Designers & Architects” text on the grey bar at the top of the page and selecting “Dashboard”. Toward the bottom of the left column, click on “Profile” and update your password and personal information. You should at a minimum fill out your full name. I would also recommend adding as many services (LinkedIn, YouTube, Vimeo, etc.) as you can to help establish your online identity.
- Please download [premium content] from the course website.
- Please follow Rhinoceros 5.2 [simple shapes] to create the shape shown below.
- This exercise is designed to help familiarize you with Rhino and many of the commands you will use later in the class.
- Once you have completed the shape, log on to the course website. Mouse over the “+ New” text on the grey bar at the top of the page. Select “Post” from the list that appears.
- Take a moment to familiarize yourself with the post window, make note of the tools available at the top of the text window. From this page you can give your post a title, write a description of your post and include images and .pdf files of your work.
- For this particular post, give your post a title that includes your name and “Exercise 201”.
- Upload the image created in Rhino to the course website by clicking on the “Add Media” button. In the Insert Media window that appears, click on the “Select Files” button. Navigate to your saved image. Once it has finished uploading, click on “Set Featured Image” and making sure the image you just uploaded is still selected, click the blue “Set
- Featured Image” button in the lower right corner of the window.
- Please make sure to specify “Digital Tools for Architects (Archi 136)”, “Exercises (Archi 136)”, and “Exercise 201” in the categories list to the right of your new post. You will be able to see all the posts for a given exercise/assignment using the “Student Work” Menu at in the navigation bar of the website.
- Click “Post” when you are done. You can edit your post by clicking on the “Posts” link on the left side of your dashboard, then mouse over your post and click the “Edit” link that appears.
- Please purchase your flash drive and bring it to class on Wednesday! Remember, I recommend a 32gb or larger drive for this course.