“Making your own font”
Due to the fact that www.yourfonts.com no longer allows users to make fonts for free, we are going to shift websites to www.myscriptfont.com. As a result, you will need to download a new template from the course website.
Part 1: Downloading a New Template
- Download the Script_Template.ai from the course website (this is the revised template for www.myscriptfont.com).
- Now, open your previous work (from Tuesday), select all of your letters and navigate to Edit>Copy.
- Open your new Script_Template.ai file and navigate to Edit>Paste. You now have all of your letters on the new template. You will need to adjust the spacing a bit. Remember, you can group objects (lines that make up letters) together by selecting the objects, right clicking and selecting “Group” from the context menu.
Part 2: Making your font
- Continue drawing your font. You should have the complete page done by the end of lab today. The “Optional Letters” section is not required.
- When you have completed your font, use the File>Export command to export your drawing as a .png file. Save this to your flash drive.
- Next, navigate to http://www.myscriptfont.com and under Step 2, click on the Choose File link to upload your saved .png file.
- Give your font a memorable & descriptive name. Select TTF as the format and click “Send File.”
- Your result will appear in the blue box at the top. Click on the name of your font to download it to your flash drive.
- Now, on Windows, drag and drop your new font into the Windows/Fonts folder.
- On a Mac, double click on your font file and click “install”
Part 3: Submitting to the course website:
- Using the sample_font.indd template, showcase your new font using the following text:
Aa Bb Cc Dd Ee Ff Gg Hh Ii Jj Kk Ll Mm Nn Oo Pp Qq Rr Ss Tt Uu Vv Ww Xx Yy Zz
This is a sample sentence. It shows your font in an actual sentence format.
THIS IS AN UPPERCASE SAMPLE SENTENCE.
- Use File>Export to export to a .jpg (this is unusual from InDesign, but I want to see the font preview not a .pdf).
- Save your file and upload it to the course website. Please also upload your .ttf font file to the course website.
- You do not need to comment on this exercise!
Download Script Template (right click and Save Target As…)
Download Sample Font .indd File (right click and Save Target As…)