In this exercise you will be designing your own font. Refer to course textbook for design ideas & typography information (pp. 88-115). This is a two day exercise designed to improve your abilities with the pen tool and the direct select arrow.
Part 1: (Monday 3/9) Drawing your font
- Using the font design template I have posted to the course website. Design your own font using any of the tools we have discussed in class. You may use brushes for this exercise, though we will not cover them in depth until later in the semester. You will likely concentrate on using the pen tool. Remember (Tutorial 3.4) to trim unwanted line segments. Today, you should focus on completing the uppercase letters. Make sure to use the guides (create additional guides as necessary).
- Look at the Layer Palette (Window>Layers) and make sure your font is on the “Font” Layer. Additional guides should go on the “Extra Guides (Non Printing)” Layer. Anything placed on a non printing layer will not print.
- Experiment with the Width Tool (demonstrated in lecture) to adjust the thickness of your lines (stroke).
Part 2: Submitting your work
- At the end of class today (3/9), please use File>Save for Web and post the .jpg to the course website. Make sure to set your .jpg as the featured image of your post.
- You do not need to comment on this exercise.