Registration and First Post
Welcome to Architecture 135, Digital Tools For Architects. Throughout the course, you will be required to use the course website to view and download assignments, revisit tutorials, and post your assignments/exercises as they are completed. In this exercise, you will register with the course website and make your first post.
- Turn on your computer and open your web browser.
- Next, navigate to www.digitaltoolsforarchitects.com.
- Take a moment to familiarize yourself with the course website. At the bottom of the column on the right, under the “Site Administration” category, click on the Register link.
- Please type in your username. Your user name should be the first initial of your first name followed by your full last name. For example if your name was “Jane Smith”, your user name would be “jsmith”.
- Fill out your email address (you need to have an email address for this class, if you do not already have one, please sign up for a free account with either gmail, www.gmail.com, or yahoo! www.yahoo.com)
- Check your email for your new password.
- Using the link in your email, login with your username and the password assigned to you.
- You will now see the “Course Website Dashboard,” where you can update your information (including your password) by clicking on the profile link on the right of the page header. Please update your information.
- Many of you already use the web frequently, you check your email, chat with friends, and perhaps read blogs. While your primary reading material may not be architectural in nature, there are plenty of architectural or graphic design based websites that can provide a wealth of information for the designer in all of us. For the second part of this exercise, you will need to locate one of these architecture/graphic design websites (it can be one you already read on a regular basis, or one you think may be worth reading) and write a brief summary of the website’s content. Please include the title of the website, the subject matter of the website, a keyword description (in the tags field), and a written paragraph explaining why the website is useful to young designers.
- You will post this information as well as a link to the website as your first posting on our course website.
- Please make sure to specify “Digital Tools for Architects I”, “Exercises (DTFA I), and “Exercise 1.1” in the categories list to the right of your new post. (See below)
- Note: You will be able to see all the posts for a given exercise/assignment using the “Student Work” Menu at in the navigation bar of the website.
- Hint: You can post to the course website by selecting “post” in the Course Website’s “Dashboard.”
- Visit www.gravatar.com and sign up using the email address you used to register for the course website. Upload a photo of yourself by following the directions on www.gravatar.com. Your photo will appear on the course website when you comment & post.
- Note: I’m sure most of you already have Facebook pages, so you can get an image of yourself from there. If you don’t have an image of yourself, use a temporary image and upload a new one after Exercise 2.1.
- Please purchase your flash drive and bring it to class on Thursday! You will need it for exercise 1.2