Lecture Downloads & Links:
To view the lecture slides or to download a .pdf of the lecture, click one of the links below.
Lecture 101 Practice:
Welcome to Digital Tools For Designers. Throughout this self-paced course, you will have the opportunity to practice what is discussed in Lecture through exercies. In this exercise, you will make your first post.
- Many of you already use the web frequently, you check your email, chat with friends, and perhaps read online articles.
- While your primary reading material may not be architectural in nature, there are plenty of architectural or graphic design based websites that can provide a wealth of information for the designer in all of us.
- For the second part of this exercise, you will need to locate an interesting article from one of these architecture/graphic design websites and write a brief summary of the article.
- Once you have logged in to the course website, mouse over the “+ New” text on the gray bar at the top of the page.
- Select “Post” from the list that appears.
- Take a moment to familiarize yourself with the post window, make note of the tools available at the top of the text window. You can now write the information gathered about your article into this box. Please include the title of the article, the subject matter of the website, a keyword description (in the tags field), and a written paragraph explaining why the article is useful to young designers. You should also paste a link to the article at the bottom of your post.
- Give your post a title that includes your name, “Exercise 101,” and the abbreviated name or description of the article.
You should now look for a creative commons image that represents this article by searching http://search.creativecommons.org. You will need to save this image to the computer. Make a note of the URL for this image as you will need to add the URL to the bottom of your post as well.
- Upload the image to the course website by clicking on the “Add Media” button. In the Insert Media window that appears, click on the “Select Files” button. Navigate to your saved image. Once it has finished uploading, click on “Set Featured Image” and making sure the image you just uploaded is still selected, click the blue “Set Featured Image” button in the lower right corner of the window.
- Please make sure to specify “Digital Tools for Designers (Archi 135)”, “Exercises (Archi 135), and “Exercise 101” in the categories list to the right of your new post. You will be able to see all the posts for a given exercise/assignment using the “Student Work” Menu at in the navigation bar of the website.
- Click “Post” when you are done. You can edit your post by clicking on the “Posts” link on the left side of your dashboard, then mouse over your post and click the “Edit” link that appears.