An art brush stretches a particular shape or object along a path. Begin by creating a shape or object you wish to stretch along a path.
- Once you have created your object, select it and drag it into the Brushes window.
- Illustrator will ask you which type of brush you would like to create. Select “New Art Brush.”
- You will now see the Art Brush Options dialog box. In this dialog box, you should give your new brush a name. You can also adjust the direction the object will stretch along a path (below the object will stretch from left to right).
- Size adjusts the width of the object and flip changes the position of the object relative to the path.[premium content]
- It is important to also select a colorization method if you wish to change the color later. I would suggest clicking on the tips button to help you evaluate which method is right for you.
- Click “ok” to create your brush. You can now select a path and then click your new brush in the Brushes window to assign that brush to your path.