This photo was taken in an early morning when the town was still in sleep. It was a cloudy/raining day. I strolled around the empty street and spotted this old market entrance nested in old buildings. It was a day before Chinese New year. Contrasting against the other side of the city decorated with "red" color and lights to celebrate the New year, this scene projected an old, vanished history of the town. I wanted to further enhanced the "aged" mood of this photo, so I applied the following adjustments.
- Used Curves - apply standard "S" curve adjustment
- Increased Vibrance and Saturation - however, did not see much difference
- Applied grunge effect with a grayish paper texture background
- Tried Multiply/Screen/Overlay effect and decided to use "Overlay"
- Added another layer for Dodge & Burn. I darkened some areas of the buildings behind the bicycle man, and lightened the bicycle man (especially for the red bucket on the bike), the man sitting on the floor, and trees/plants on and beside the building. The "Dodged" area was to highlight the "live" objects against the "old, dead" surroundings.