This will be your first architectural design assignment for this course. You have been selected to be the architect of a small 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom cabin. The cabin will be located in the “Happy Isles” section of Yosemite Valley (See .zip download for specific information). You will create an AutoCAD floor plan & 4 elevations of this cabin to highlight your design decisions and to showcase your cabin to your client.
Part I: Program
- Your clients, a husband and wife with no children, have requested the following for their cabin.
- 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom (400 sf)
- Living space, with fireplace and windows that capture the site (200 sf)
- Kitchen, open to living space (150sf)
- Dining Space (150 sf)
- Maximum square feet: Less than 1000 sf
Part II: Evaluation of Site
- Download the site information package from the course website and open the .kmz Google Earth file. Explore the site using Google Earth and look through pictures taken from this location to get a better sense of the site.
Part III: AutoCAD Drawings of Floor Plan (After Exercise 118)
- Open the “Topography - A105.dwg” file provided. This file has the topography (at 1’ contour intervals) of your site. Your cabin should fit within this 1000’ x 1000’ site. Note: The Merced River flows through the site, see photographic information for site context.
- Draw the floor plan of your cabin. You should use lineweights to distinguish features in your cabin (see example lineweights drawing). You plan should be detailed and should show window and door locations as well as a complete kitchen and bathroom. You may include furniture, though it is not required.
Part IV: AutoCAD Drawings of Elevations (During/After Exercise 120)
- Following the techniques discussed in Lecture 120, fold out 4 elevation views of your cabin. You may also need to draw a roof plan to help clarify your roof slopes, etc.
- Use lineweights to highlight your drawing (see example lineweights drawing)
Part V: Final Assembly & Collage of views
- Assemble a .pdf file using a layout in AutoCAD. The final sheet should be 24x36 and should contain the plan as well as the 4 elevations of your building.
- You should then open the layout in Adobe Illustrator and perform post processing on your layout. Add text as necessary as well as background textures if desired (or if they will enhance your layout). (Exercise 122)
Part VI: Output
- You will need to plot your 24x36 sheet on one of the school plotters. Specific instructions will be given in class.
- Export a .jpg of your work and post it to the course website before the beginning of class on Monday, April 25th. You must turn in the printed version and the online version.
- You will need to comment on 3 of your fellow student’s works for this assignment.