A road leads between to massive buildings towards a distant mountain. This photo by Marco Devon exemplifies a number of compositional techniques.
- The road passes from the city into another, mist-shrouded landscape, telling a story and drawing the viewer deeper
- The buildings to the left and right create symmetry and frame the landscape. Enough variation exists, principally in the vegetation and mountain, to offset any rigidity and activate the space
- The distant mountain contrasts with the architecture by textual difference and having a diagonal orientation
- There are numerous overlapping planes
- The building on the right and the tree tops fall on lines of thirds
- The architectural units of the skyscrapers forms a pattern and repetition
By including a large focal range, Devon captures a great swath of land between the foreground road and the mountain. The overcast, moody weather adds emotion and mystery to the image.