Establishing Your Online Identity & Creating a Personal Landing Page
In this age of internet savvy consumers, it is critical you actively create and manage your online identity to control your public image. For this exercise, you will be creating your own LinkedIn Profile (Resume) and personal landing page. You will not need to make a financial investment as the service we are going to use is free.
- Create an account (if you don’t already have one) with LinkedIn.com
- Spend the next 30 minutes creating your own profile/resume. If you already have a working resume, use this as a base for your profile. If you already have a LinkedIn page, update your profile so that it is current.
- Upload a photo to your profile (Ideally this is the same photo you used as your Gravatar.com image from Exercise 0.1.
- Make note of your profile address. It is usually something like www.linkedin.com/in/yourname (For me it is http://www.linkedin.com/in/grantadams).
- Think carefully about your online identity. Do you like your current handle/username? Can you think of one that is more professional/unique/descriptive, etc. that you would rather use?
- Use one of the websites discussed in lecture to determine the availability of your username across various sites.
- After scanning these lists, please consider registering your username at sites where you wish to establish an online identity. This step is optional.
- Follow “Digital Life Tutorial 0.12” to create your own flavors.me personal landing page. You do not need to pay for any premium services for this exercise. Please take time with your design. We will occasionally revisit this page in future exercises to update it with new techniques that will be discussed in lecture.
- Make sure to include content you post on the course website as one of your services in addition to your LinkedIn Profile page.
- Please post a link to your personal landing page on the course website. This post must include your full name (“Grant Adams”) and your flavors.me page (http://www.flavors.me/grantadams).
- You can make a link by clicking on the chain links in the wordpress editor.
- You must post this to the course website by 1:50pm today.
- Please update your profile for the course website to include your new PLP as you homepage. Include your LinkedIn profile as another link and consider filling out the remaining links as appropriate. Remember this will help to establish your online identity.
- Bring digital camera to class on Wednesday, you will need it for Exercise 2.1!