Photoshop Editing of Digital Images
On Wednesday, you journeyed out to photograph the DVC campus. Today, we will begin to develop a workflow for post processing captured images in Adobe Photoshop. There are several tutorials in The Digital Tools For Architects Handbook that will help you through each part of today’s exercise.
- Choose 3 images (your favorites) from any of the Exercise 104 categories. Please perform the rest of the steps in part 1 to each image.
- Following the “Photoshop 1.1: Turning a color image to black and white,” you will create a new adjustment layer and work with the channel mixer to turn your image to black and white. Remember, you can turn off adjustments by clicking on the eye next to the layer name. You may wish to do this before the creating the next adjustment layer.
- Follow the “Photoshop 1.2: Adjusting Levels: Histograms” tutorial and create another new adjustment layer with a levels adjustment.
- Follow the “Photoshop 1.3: Working with Curves” tutorial. You will again create a new adjustment layer.
- Follow the “Photoshop 1.4: Visual Acuity: Making Images Pop” tutorial. Again you will get a new adjustment layer.
- Follow the “Photoshop 1.5: Dodging and Burning Images” Tutorial.
- Save your work as a .psd if you have not already done so.
- Now, turn off all adjustment layers so that you see your original image. Following Photoshop 1.6, save a web version of your original photo.
- Repeat once for each adjustment layer. Make sure you give each photo an explanatory name (A135A_20130902_photo_original_web.jpg, A135A_20130902_photo_bw_web.jpg, A135A_20130902_photo_levels_web.jpg, etc.) You can choose to stack the adjustments or to save them individually at your discretion.
- You should have 18 images when you are complete including the original images. Following the steps outlined on the back of this page, upload the images you created today.
- Remember to add “Exercise 105”, “Digital Tools for Designers” and “Exercises” to the categories field.
- You will notice that Assignment 101 has been posted under Assignments on the course website. Please read over the assignment and begin working on it with the remaining class time. You will have additional time to work on it this week. Assignment 101 is due on Monday 9/14 (Before the start of class)!
Posting a Gallery of Images to the Course Website:
- Login to www.digitaltoolsforarchitects.com and create a new post. Give the post a title with your name and Exercise 105.
- Select the “Exercise 105” checkbox from the “Categories” section as well as “Exercises” and “Digital Tools For Architects I”
- Now change the “Format” to be “Gallery” (This should be directly below where you select “Publish” in the Format box).
- In the “Content” Tab, check the box for “Slideshow on Post Page” then move to the Gallery tab.
- In this “Gallery” tab, click on the “Add images to gallery” button below “Selected Images From Gallery” You should then navigate and select your images from your flash drive. You can do a multiple file upload, but be patient as it can take some time to upload.
- Click on “Publish” to publish your post. You’re not done, continue below.
- Set a featured image for your post by clicking the “Add Media” button. Click on the “Set Featured Image” link and choose “Images Uploaded to this Post” from the dropdown menu. Select your favorite image and click “Set Featured Image”
- Navigate to the Gallery tab again and confirm all of your images have been uploaded. Click “Update” one last time and then view your post to be sure that your images load correctly.