Exercise 102

Establishing your online identity & creating a personal landing page

There is content on this page that is restricted to members. You must login to view this premium content.
If you are not yet a member, click here to learn about becoming a member.
Introduction:

Throughout this semester and your career as an architecture student, you will be working in computer labs. As a result, you will need to store your work on a portable device. Furthermore, in this age of internet savvy consumers, it is critical you actively create and manage your online identity to control your public image. For this exercise, you will be creating your own LinkedIn Profile (Resume) and personal landing page in addition to preparing your flash drive and organizing a school calendar.

Part 1:

• Please view and follow Digital Life 0.2 [OneDrive] as demonstrated in lecture.
  • You will now have a flash drive that conforms to the 3-2-1 backup principles discussed in lecture.

Part 2:

• As we discussed in lecture, calendars are a critical part of your organizational system. While you may choose to use a different piece of software on your personal computer, your mobile calendar needs to be a web-enabled calendar or a portable version of a desktop calendar in order to be effective.
    I recommend starting with a web-based calendar. There are many out there, but I’ve found Google Calendar to be easy, full-featured, and free. If you don’t already have a Google account, you can sign up for one (http://calendar.google.com). Other options include outlook.com and yahoo.com.
  • Next, follow Digital Life 0.5 [calendar feeds] and Digital Life 0.11 [subscribe to calendar] to add our course calendar to your Google Calendar.
  • You may also wish to add your other courses to your calendar to help keep you organized.
  • When you have finished setting up your calendar, please raise your hand and show me before the end of class today.
    • The calendar feed for Archi 135 is:
      • https://www.google.com/calendar/ical/4dg0407pppv3abc03cop2ajjo4%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics

Part 3:

• Today we also discussed consolidating your email accounts. While the following is recommended, it is optional and not required for the course.
  • Set up email forwarding to the email address you frequently use so that school emails will be sure to reach you.
  • Consider forwarding other, infrequently used email addresses to your primary inbox.

Part 4:

• Create an account (if you don’t already have one) with LinkedIn.com
  • Spend the next 30 minutes creating your own profile/resume. If you already have a working resume, use this as a base for your profile. If you already have a LinkedIn page, update your profile so that it is current.
  • Upload a photo to your profile (Ideally this is the same photo you used as your Gravatar.com image from Digital Life 0.13 .
  • Make note of your profile address. It is usually something like www.linkedin.com/in/yourname.

Part 5:

• Follow “Digital Life 0.12 [pixelhub.me]” to create your own pixelhub.me personal landing page. You do not need to pay for any premium services for this exercise. Please take time with your design. We will occasionally revisit this page in future exercises to update it with new techniques that will be discussed in lecture.
  • Make sure to include content you post on the course website as one of your services in addition to your LinkedIn Profile page.

Part 6:

• Please post a link to your personal landing page on the course website. This post must include your full name (“Grant Adams”) and your flavors.me page (http://www.pixelhub.me/grantadams).
  • You can make a link by clicking on the chain links in the WordPress editor.
  • You must post this to the course website by 1:50 pm today. Ideally, take a screenshot of your PLP and set this as your featured image for your post.
  • Please update your profile for the course website to include your new PLP as your homepage. Include your LinkedIn profile as another link and consider filling out the remaining links as appropriate. Remember this will help to establish your online identity.
  • If you have not already done so, Follow Digital Life 0.13  to upload a profile picture and associate it with your email address.
  • Bring phone/digital camera to class on Wednesday (Monday is a Holiday), you will need it for Exercise 103!

Downloads: