Video Tutorial:[Premium Content - Login] [Membership Options]
Photoshop 1.4 [pop]
- Begin by opening Adobe Photoshop. Using the File>Open command, open the photograph you would like to convert to black and white.
- Navigate to Layer>New Adjustment Layer>Channel Mixer.
- The New Layer dialog box will appear. Give your layer a name and select “Ok.”
- In the Channel Mixer dialog box, you will see an “Output Channel” drop down menu where you can select Red, Green, or Blue.[Premium Content - Login] [Membership Options]
- Begin with the red channel selected. Bump up the red channel to 118% and decrease the Green and Blue Channel by -9%.
- Now change the “Output Channel” to Green and adjust the Red Channel to -9%, the Green Channel to 118% and the Blue Channel to -9%. Repeat with the Blue Output Channel, making Red -9%, Green -9% and Blue 118%. You will notice that all of the percentage values add up to be 100%. Select “Ok.”
- Next, using the Layer>New Adjustment Layer>Curves tool, lighten the light parts of the image by clicking and dragging a control point on the upper side of the horizontal line to the lighter side while doing the opposite to the dark parts of the image. This traditional S curve increases contrast in the image, making it “pop.[Premium Content - Login] [Membership Options]
- Now, save your image as a .psd file (this will preserve editing capabilities).
- If you wish to save your image for the web, follow Photoshop 1.6 [save for web].