V-Ray Version 3.6:
- Select the object(s) on which you wish to place materials. If you want to assign materials to a layer, skip to step 5.
- Navigate to the V-Ray Asset Editor (V-Ray>Asset Editor...) or click the Asset Editor button from the V-Ray toolbar (Shown below).[Premium Content - Login] [Membership Options]
- In the Asset Editor window, click on materials and then expand the window to the left.
- Browse through the material library (left drawer) and select a material. Drag that material to the scene "Material List." Alternatively you can load a material .vrmat/.vismat file by clicking on the "Import .vrmat" button at the bottom of the scene "Material List."
- Click on the name of the material you want to use. You will see a preview of that material above the scene "Material List." Now right-click on the name of the material and select "Apply Material to Selection." Alternatively, if you want to assign a material to a whole layer, you can choose "Apply Material to Layer" and then choose your desired layer. [Premium Content - Login] [Membership Options]
V-Ray Version 1.5:
- Select the object(s) on which you wish to place materials. If you want to assign materials to a layer, skip to step 4.
- Select Material button in the Properties Panel (Panels>Object Properties) and select “assign material by object,” then click the checkbox for “Plug-in.”
- Click the browse button below and choose “Default_VRay_Material” (or another material listed) from the dialog box and click “Apply.”
- Now that the material has been applied to the object, the edit button appears in the material window. Click this button.
- This opens the V-Ray Material Editor window.
- Click on “Diffuse” to expand the Diffuse options. You can click on the box to assign a basic color to the material. You can also adjust the color transparency, black is completely opaque and white is completely transparent.
- If you wish to assign materials to a whole layer, navigate to the layer panel (Panels>Layers). Now click on the circle next to the layer color. [Premium Content - Login] [Membership Options]
- In the dialog box that appears, check the box for “Plug-in” (look on the lower left) and then click the “Browse” button. Pick the desired material from the dropdown list that appears. [Premium Content - Login] [Membership Options]