V-Ray Version 3.6:
- Open the V-Ray Asset Manager and select an existing material. (Refer to V-Ray 8.6 [diffuse map] to create a new texture map material).
- In the right drawer, expand the "Maps" section and then the "Displacement" section. Click on the checkerboard pattern next to the "Mode/Map" text. [Premium Content - Login] [Membership Options]
- Navigate to your displacement map texture (this is an image with the white portions sticking up and the black portions remaining flat. See Photoshop 1.19 [displacement map] to create this image). [Premium Content - Login] [Membership Options]
- Select Back when you are done to return to the "Displacement" section.
- Adjust the value for "Amount" using the slider or by typing in a value. You will see a live preview of the material as you adjust it The value here is in the default units of the file you are working with (typically inches)..
- Your new displacement map will automatically apply to objects already assigned to this material. Follow V-Ray 8.2 [assigning materials] to assign this material to objects or layers. Perform a rendering to view new settings.
V-Ray Version 1.5:
- Open the Material Editor and select an existing material. (Refer to V-Ray 8.6 [texture map] to create a new texture map material).
- In the Maps drawer, check the box next to “Displacement” (Red rectangle below).[Premium Content - Login] [Membership Options]
- Next, click on the “m” next to “Displacement.” (Red circle above) This will bring up the V-Ray Texture Editor.
- In the V-Ray Texture Editor, select “Bitmap” as the type (red rectangle below). The value set in the multiplier box will determine the amount of displacement that occurs as a result of the map.[Premium Content - Login] [Membership Options]
- In the “Bitmap” section, click the “m” button (red circle above) and navigate to your displacement map (to create a displacement/bump map in Photoshop, follow Photoshop 1.20 [bump maps]). Select “Open” when you have finished.
- Navigate to V-Ray global options and select the Displacement rollout which contains option for all displacements. The amount value is the number of scene units (usually inches) of displacement with the texture multiplier set to one (step 4). This is a global edit for all materials and should be changed only with care.